Friday 26 September 2008

Where we are living



A view of our front gate.

Brian is feeling heaps better - thank god. It wasn't nice seeing him feeling so disgusting. I was needing me ole mate to be buzzing not groaning. We got dropped off at the apartment - whcih has all the basic food items to make a cuppa, toast, jam white butter?, juice, eggs etc and heaps of bottles of water - we can't dring the tap water. I'm very happy we bought over a couple of jars of vegemite. We have not been to the supermarket - no one came to pick us up yesterday to take us there - probably because they knew Brian was unwell. We have no local currency so can't really venture out too far yet. That should all get sorted to day - I am being picked up soon - will be wearing my orange skirt!!, to be shown the ropes. Brain will be entertaining himself here until I get back hopefully with some money.

We went out last night for a stroll down to the closest roundabout! to try and get our bearings. It was very warm even at 7.00 at night. It felt very exciting to be here I must say - so different. They drive like maniacs - I am expected to be driving myself within the month!! - there is a lot to get used to - the streets are wide and they all just drive fast and don'yt indicate - AND on the other side of the road. The place looks like a construction site - new buildings being built everywhere. They are all sandstone colour - so unlike NZ. Great big stone places with fancy bits on them. Our apartment has a very high stud. I'll take a photo today and send it.
It gets dark here around 6.00pm but sun is up now at 5.00 in the morning. I went to bed last night at 8.00 bloody exhausted hoping to sleep through to the morning - I woke at 11.00, then 1.00, then 3.30 at whcih point I decided to get up and have a cup of green tea and check out the computer for emails etc.
Must go and cook myself an egg for breakfast - I can't eat in public today as it is the month of Ranadan - no one eats between dawn - dusk not even water!! Brain can't smoke in public. I am going to be starving by the afternoon.

2 comments:

Fiona Grant said...

Hi Lynne, So good to hear from you and that you made it safely. We have been at Team Days over the last 2 days and have all been wondering how you have been getting on. Will add your blog to my aggregator.
Malo e lelei from Lorraine and Siliva preparing for our Pasifika session at Team Day.

Stay well

Unknown said...

Hi Lynne

So exciting to hear from you. I love the top you are wearing in your photo. You look great. What"s everyone wearing there.

Sounds like you are already enjoying yourself and are in for a busy time with all the exploring you have to do.

We have been missing you.

Cheers
Sylvia