Friday 10 October 2008

eLearning in Qatar?

Yesterday, after a bit of organising, I taught a modelled lesson with a class of 6 year olds in the ICT Lab. I encouraged one of the teachers to be my guinea pig - I would work with her class. I took with me the Arabic translator and we collected the class and walked to the ICT room. I sat them down on the cold lino floor and proceeded to show them, and the teacher, how to use Paint to draw, with the interpreter explaining ( as well as management skills in the room). A group of teachers also came in to watch for a little while. The junior ICT teacher was also with the class. I then sent them in an orderly fashion! to a computer to have a go - there were 20 in this room. The kids were fabulous - they drew some really cute pictures and wrote their name. A teacher questioned why I wasn't doing the theoretical stuff!! (meaning the computer basics!) I tried to explain as they were using the computer they were learning all they needed to know. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me - it was a real photo opportunity....
The best thing was today when I went to the school at about 11.00, the junior ICT teacher had taken a class to the ICT room and copied my lesson. That was very cool. I felt my first 3 days had been worthwhile.

No comments: