Wednesday 1 October 2008

Out and about

We are having to spend much time trying to fill our days in at the moment, Ramadan has just finished and Eid is now happening which is a bit like Christmas Day I think - shopping hours are reduced during the day with most things happening at night. It is very hot and you need to be somewhere that is air-conditioned if you want to venture out and about.

We have been for the odd small walk but the heat prevents larger exploration, so has to be very early in the morning or early evening onwards. We have to take taxis until I get a car. I can't lease a car until I get residency - residency takes about a month with a few formalities to be done, like having a medical - they check for TB, HIV I think. Until then I will have a driver who will take me to my schools. Everyone is on holiday at Cognition - schools are closed until next week - so in a way I have arrived at a good time as I get a chance to have a look around before the work begins for real.

Last night we visited one of the many Souks ( trad marketplaces ) and had a Morrocan meal - targine. Very delicious - costing about $45 all up which seemed pretty good value. They don't sell alcohol so I had a carrot juice and Brian a lemon and mint juice. Quite different from the usual wine with a meal we are used to. It was actually OK. The place feels very safe and I think a lot of that has to do with the fact people can't drink. There were lots of families out and about last night. Many different races. The markets had a fabulous feel - most weren't open because it is Eid but there were still heaps of people roaming around.


At the market place a stage had been set up for muscians. Unfortunately we waited around for about an hour hoping to hear them play their traditional instruments but they took ages to get organised - I think it was going to be televised. It was fascinating just standing around watching the crowds of Qatari in their striking outfits.

1 comment:

Geoffrey said...

Do they sell pie sandwiches in Doha?